We would love to hear from other ORs, send your stories and pictures to us Email
James Kenny, happened upon some old 16mm cinefilm and undertook to have it converted into a modern format. The film is a fascinating snapshot of life at Rishworth School circa 1958 and 1963.
James has provided the following narrative, the film can be viewed by clicking on the video at the bottom of the page.
The first clip in black and white is of a 'Rugger' match between the Old Rishworthians and the School in 1959. The match is held on the school playing fields and the old pavilion can be seen in its former glory. Peter Warburton, whose father shot the original film, has advised that the match was special because the captains of the two sides were father and son, Harry and David Ludlum.
The second clip is on the day of the 15th June 1963. As Harry Ludlam writes in his book ‘The History of Rishworth School’ (1973) “The highlight of the term, however, was one of those brilliant sunny Speech Days upon which no true son of Rishworth could possibly wish to be anywhere else, but on the lawn in front of the old School.” In the first part of the clip is a gym display that was held in the morning of that Speech Day on the front lawn. There is following this, a short clip of the School Sailing Club’s dinghy that had been built in 1962 by Mr Jack Robins and Edward Cooper of Governors House. At twelve noon prompt on that day, Sir Adrian Boult formally opened the new building that incorporated a Music School and Geography Department. The Music School was named the ‘Chan Music School’ in recognition of the substantial financial assistance given by Mr Chan to the project. That afternoon the Annual Speech Day was to commence at the Alexandra Hall, Halifax.
The final clip is of a table top sale held at the Halifax Drill Hall in aid of the School Development Fund.
Please let us know via email@example.com if you recognise yourself or others in the film.