Through boarding, we aim to give the young people in our care the very best of opportunities to become well-balanced, responsible adults who are willing to contribute to society at large and, in so doing, to enrich their own life and that of others.
To some extent, all forms of schooling have this as a goal. However, we believe that living in a boarding community, with the continuity in relationships it provides and the direct experience of diverse cultures and people it offers, constitutes an education that reaches into a young person's core in a particularly deep and lasting way.
Specifically, we seek to provide:
- a balance between privacy and sharing, and between freedom and guidance, as appropriate to the age and particular needs of the individual
- a blend of people, practices, provisions, and place where students can thrive, feeling properly "at home", happy, cared for, healthy and secure
- a flexible and convenient system for pupils and parents to remain properly in touch
- an exceptional breadth of experiences and activities
- a stable environment that offers a clear but supple structure of support, promoting both the value of learning and the growth of the person as a whole
- a spirit of community and a sense of belonging
- a respect for the rights, cultures and beliefs of others as well as for the material fabric of both House and School
- the ability to live harmoniously and considerately with others, and to be organised and orderly in one's daily life
- a readiness to assume, and the capacity to discharge, appropriate responsibilities
- a high level of self-discipline and self-reliance coupled with a will to participate, co-operate, help and care
Rishworth Boarding School